With all the home remodeling going on, I got a late start getting the winter maintenance done on the Electra Glide.
Finally started digging in.
Pretty short list:
- New rear tire
- Repack front and rear wheel bearings
- New Progressive cartridge inserts in the forks
- Clean/inspect/repack steering head bearings
- New stator
- New brake fluid front and back
March 9, 2017 Update
Fork rebuild kit arrived. Getting closer to being ready to get this thing buttoned back up.
March 20, 2017 Update
’bout got her all buttoned up. So far:
- The cartridge fork inserts are installed, along with new bushes and seals
- Forks are back on
- Front fender is back on
- Got the ground block thing sorted
- Rear wheel is back on
- The inner fairing and all the wiring is sorted. Test-fit the light bar and the headlights and everything is working.
- Throttle cables are re-installed. Carb is back on.
- Seat is back on.
- New stator is in, but I still need to button up the primary.
Need to go check with Mark and see when the new speedo cable is coming in. If it’s in the next day or two, I’ll just wait for that before finishing up. Otherwise, I’ll button it up now and install the cable later. But I really don’t want to have to take the front fairing off an extra time!
March 21, 2017 Update
Some decent progress last night.
Spent some time yesterday trying to figure out that shim. Bottom line: Either someone had (stupidly) put it behind the clutch previously, or it fell out from behind the compensator when I removed it. Either way, what I ended up with was two shims I was certain were behind the compensator, plus the mystery shim. All of them measured out at 0.010″.
I decided to put the two I was sure about behind the compensator, then left the last one out. Then re-measured the chain position, which worked out to 0.020″ difference front to back, which was inside the 0.030″ spec, so I’m calling it good. I did put that shim on the wall, and will put it back if I ever need to get back in there.
So after all that, got the primary buttoned back up and dumped in a fresh quart of ATF.
Once that was settled, I got the clutch cable re-attached to the bars and adjusted the clutch, bled the front brakes and figured why not go out for a quick test spin. The outer faring was still off, so no headlight, and it was almost dark, so I just ran around the block. Initial impression is that the new Progressive cartridges are a huge winner. Amazing. Clutch was a smidge tight. Need to adjust it a bit. Couple of miscellaneous things were loose. Tightened them up. Thanks to THC Mike, I realized I could get to the front fender bulb from the front. Pulled the cover off and realized that the bulb was fine, it was just loose in the socket. Cleaned it up, re-installed, and it’s working.
Talked to Mark yesterday, and the new speedo cable is supposed to be here today. If all goes smooth should have everything buttoned up tonight.